Sunday, January 06, 2013

BOOK REVIEW TIME

So here's the second part to my 2012 book recap!

What's the best book you read this year?
I can't decide between Emma Donoghue's Room and Jo Walton's Among Others.

Any other reading highlights?
I also loved Bernard Beckett's Genesis, which was a great throwback to older sci-fi stories, and Miserere, by Teresa Frohock. This was the year of sci-fi, I think.


What's the most challenging book you read this year?
Genesis and Room were pretty tough, but the winner probably was Perfume, by Patrick Suskind.


What's the worst book you read this year?
Self-published tripe: Henry VIII's Seventh, by Steve Farndon. What a load of BUNK. And poorly edited to boot.  I think His Last Duchess, by Gabrielle Kimm would be my least favourite published book.


Which authors featured most prominently for you in 2012?
Mira Grant, even though I was ultimately disappointed by Blackout.


Were you part of a reading challenge? Did you meet it?
I had a goal of 120 books, and 52 from countries around the world. I missed the former by 6, the latter by a lot. It's really difficult to do!


Are you signed up for any in 2013?
Just to read 115, since I missed that number last year.


What books did you get for Christmas? 
Weird-O-Pedia, and the box set of The Hunger Games series. I also got amazon gift cards that I will use to purchase many more books.


What books are you going to buy next? 
Ettiquette and Espionage, by Gail Carriger (comes out Feb 5). The rest I decide upon when they're up on Kindle Daily Deals or I suddenly learn of their existence.


Which books are you most looking forward to reading in 2013?
Definitely E&E, along with the books I got for my birthday -- including two Alison Weir books I hadn't acquired before. I also plan on finishing Elizabeth Chadwick's oevre.


(these questions I stole from last year's post)

Unexpected Terrible Book: I think I was most surprised that Empire State by Adam Christopher was so terrible. The concept was great but the execution was so BORING.

Worst Series: This was more about ultimately unsatisfying conclusions to trilogies: Mira Grant's as well as Jacqueline Carey's Naamah trilogy.

Unexpected Surprise, Nonfiction: Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. JUST KIDDING. No, it would be While the World Watched, by Carolyn Maull McKinstry.

Unexpected Surprise, fiction: Miserere, Teresa Frohock

Best Series of the Year: I still love Kelly Gay's Charlie Madigan series. If you're not reading them, and you like truly kickass lady heroines, you should check that series out.

Best Young Adult Novel of the Year: A Bad Beginning: A Series of Unfortunate Events #1, Lemony Snicket. YES I REALIZE THEY HAVE BEEN OUT FOREVER. YES I AM A SLACKER.

Most Important Book I Read This Year: The Nuremberg Trials, Ann Tusa and John Tusa. This was long and detailed but totally worth it.

Right now I'm reading books 4 and 5 of the year!

No comments: