Wednesday, July 22, 2009

North Country represent!

So Senator Gillibrand made a survey of the fattest counties in New York. Guess who was number one?

Lewis, Jefferson, and St. Lawrence counties, that's who! North Country WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO--oh wait.

It's not really that surprising though. Poorer people tend to eat worse. And those counties are pretty damned poor. Will banning trans-fats from schools really solve this problem? i distinctly recall that school lunches sucked balls in my high school.

In other news, I read another book, and it was really really good.

How Starbucks Saved My Life: A Son of Privilege Learns to Live Like Everyone Else. This is the story of a rich old white dude who loses his cushy job, his family, and his health insurance and ends up learning life lessons by working as a part-time barista in a Starbucks in New York City. It's so fascinating, and it reminds me a lot of why I enjoy my job most days.

No comments: