Tuesday, April 20, 2010

A new week, a new twist.

I posted this to blogspot first instead of my livejournal. The reason for that is ridiculously simple: every week blogspot catches my HTML errors and LJ doesn't. My AI recaps require a lot of simple codes that I always fubar, so I figured why not start here?

So THIS is American Idol: Idol Gives Back/Songs of Inspiration/Alicia Keys night.
I don't get to vote so I hope no one fucks up royally. I can't save you, save yourselves!
PS: Did I just see a Simon/Ryan fanfic sign?

Casey James - Don't Stop (Fleetwood Mac)
Doing his best goat impression, he chooses to make the song paint by numbers. The man can play the guitar, but I am not sold on the singing. Ehh. PS: Saying you liked doing the song is a curse of death on IGB week. I remember a certain gorgeous young Australian male who said the same thing about both a Fleetwood Mac track and an Aerosmith track and lost on IGB week. Beware the Michael Johns curse.

Lee DeWyze - The Boxer (Simon & Garfunkel)
Is it wrong I was hoping he was gonna sing the Carbon Leaf song?
Something Dave Karger said in the Idolatry video this week stuck with me as Lee was singing. He complained that Lee doesn't sing, he mostly growls through songs like Nickelback's lead singer Chad Kroeger. I can buy it, but I feel this week Lee sang the hell out of this song. Team Lee for AI9! He even got the emotions into the song.

Tim Urban - Better Days
(Goo Goo Dolls)
Uh, the Goo Goo Dolls were my high school band crush and NGL, they still are. John Rzeznik (and yes I can spell his name without thinking tyvm) has the most magnetic voice, I don't even care. SHUT UP. Anyway, I love this song so it better not suck.
Uh, it was a karaoke version, and there was a point where even I noticed he was offkey. He has such a puppydog face though. "PLEASE LIKE ME" he seems to say while singing.

Aaron Kelly - I Believe I Can Fly (R. Kelly)
Well, Seacrest made the obligatory last name joke so I don't have to. I like the countrified twist on it, and I feel like he'd have a good niche as a country Justin Bieber. ALthough I don't know if it was entirely necessary to sing all the notes possible at the end.

Siobhan Magnus - When You Believe
(Whitney Houston and Mariah Carey)
Love the beginning. She's got a voice on her and I missed seeing it. I also love that someone took the time to graft plants on her outfit. Oh, I guess they're butterflies.
To be fair, I think I've only ever heard this song once before, so while it was a Mariah & Whitney song I think she did it justice.

Michael Lynche - Hero (Chad Kroeger & Josie Scott, who I had to google to remind me)
I do love this song. He does it like Eleanor Rigby and I really think it works for him. I'm on the Big Mike Bandwagon, but I don't think we needed a closeup of him licking his lips after the final note.

Crystal Bowersox - People Get Ready
(Curtis Mayfield)
Acapella intro. Would have loved it if she'd done the whole thing sans instruments. If you're not on an Idol Bandwagon, might I recommend Crystal's? Wow, she just kinda...broke down at the end. Whoa.

Best of the Night: Lee, Crystal
Worst of the Night: Casey
Bottom Three: Aaron, Casey, Tim
Going home: Aaron

No comments: