Tuesday, February 23, 2010

idol in the house!

OH HELL YEAH WE'RE BACK.
I really really don't care, I love American Idol. And in true to form style I'm recapping tonight's performances and choosing my two for elimination. And I'm trying to break my Idol curse by voting for five contestants. They simply can't eliminate ALL of them.

So I'll just note that this is the Flower Power Edition of Billboard Charts week. Which basically means any song EVER. And most of the girls were wearing flowers in their hair. Also, much to Laurie's dismay, three contestants chose poorly Beatles songs. So yes, I will be posting the videos as I can find them. Beware!

SO first we had Ms Invisible Paige Miles. She chose the Canadian band (right?) Free's "All Right Now."
My notes (which got shorter or nonexistent as the show went on):
-soft opening
-tendency to oversing
-bad sign when i think it needs MOAR backup singers*
Simon may be right -- song selection. No, Kara. Shut up. Yeah, she killed it. In the wrong way.

2) Ashley Rodriguez - With Happy by Leona Lewis.
Good choice, let's pick a song by one of Simon's Protegées. Awesome. I liked the version of the song, a little more subtle. Loved her whole look. Just feel like sh needs to not eat the microphone when she sings. A lot of her consonants got spit into the mic. Also, I'm not sure I buy the Mariah/Leona comparision, Kara. (Most of this recap will be SHUT UP KARA)

3) Janell Wheeler - What About Love, Heart.
First off, it's hard to do Heart after Carrie Underwood pwned "Alone" in Season 5. Also my initial thought was that she was wearing a toga. Alas, her outfit was merely a one shoulder top and leggings. You know how I feel about leggings. A few bum notes, and the neding was baaaad. Also, Kara said something stupid and I forgot to write it down.

4) Lilly Scott - Fix it All, The Beatles.
I don't know this song but Lilly was amazing. All my notes said was "LOVE THIS GIRL <3." Yes, I literally drew a less than sign and a 3.

5) Katelyn Epperly - Oh Darling, The Beatles.
1985 called. It really wants its outfit back. And its hair. Also a bit surreal watching someone born in like 1990 sing a song from 1969 wearing something from 1985. She was really loud. Also, Kara, lets not throw stones. If Katelyn goes without makeup, I feel you should as well.

6) Haeley Vaughn - I Wanna Hold Your Hand, The Beatles.
OH DEAR GOD WHAT DID THIS SONG EVER DO TO YOU. ALL IT WANTED TO DO WAS HOLD YOUR HAND AND YOU TOOK IT OUT BACK AND SHOT IT AND THEN DROPPED IT DOWN A WELL AND THEN BROUGHT IT BACK UP AND KICKED IT AND TOOK ITS PUPPY AND THEN YOU SHOT IT AGAIN.
PS. Anyone else remember Janae Castine? Season 3 contestant who wouldn't go away? I'm hoping that is not the case with this girl.

7) Lacey Brown - Landslide, Fleetwood Mac.
She is missing part of her shirt. Also this was like torturing cats. At this point I wrote that I liked that no one was arguing with the judges. Jesus, how short IS Ryan?

8) Michelle Delamour - Fallin', Alicia Keys.
Loved it, loved her, loved it. Fearless. Hate for backup singers. Also, Kara, how can she be commercial AND unique?

9) Didi Benami - The Way I Am, Ingrid Michaelson.
Is she wearing a carpet? Boring. Also, I wrote "Nice burn, Simon," but I don't remember who he was burning.

10) Siobhan Magnus - Wicked Game, Chris Isaak
I love this song, it's one of my all time favourite songs. But let me back up and wonder how someone doesn't know what a DARK HORSE is. Really? Do they not teach English or History anymore? Anyway, I loved her cover and I'd buy that single from iTunes if I used iTunes.

11) Crystal Bowersox - Hand in my Pocket Alanis Morissette.
ALl I wrote was "really really. Lose the harmonica?" But I love her. Also I still can't see what's wrong with her teeth. Love this woman. If you haven't already I think you should watch her cover of "Natural Woman" from Hollywood week.



12) Katie Stevens - Feelin' Good, Michael Bublé.
Pedestrian and boring is what I wrote. The judges agreed, thought the song was too old for her.

So here are MY bottom two: Haeley and Lacey. They caused me the most physical pain. Who will actually be booted? Lacey & Paige. Paige's cause wasn't helped by the Idol sound people, who when they cued up the playback screwed up the sound and completely decimated Paige's recap and the first 2/3 of Ashley's. If Paige is booted, I'm certain that it played a role.



*Those of you new to my AI recaps must keep in mind that my hatred of Idol Backup Singers stretches back to the Season 2 Finale when they ruined Clay Aiken's perfectly fine cover of "Bridge Over Troubled Water."

My votes went to: Ashley, Lilly, Michelle, Siobhan, and Crystal.

Also, I desperately need a new keyboard. This one is dying and can't keep up with my typing anymore. I already injured my wrist smashing it because it moved too slowly.

No comments: