Monday, June 28, 2010

fuuuuuuuu carpenter ants

So first I'll get my dream out the way. Yes, I had another weird dream. This time it included the Top Gear cast but did not include Monique which would have been awesome.

It was extremely weird. I joined the cast to be the American girl they were teaching how to drive for the new series, and somehow (Gods, I don't know how) Jeremy and I ended up in a relationship. But it was like a platonic one and his wife was chill with it. I don't even know.

I do know I was watching Top Gear before bed and I was thinking earlier in the day how much I'd love to move to London for a year or two. (Not gonna happen, but I can dream).

So since it's the 28th of June, I will list all the books I read this month (plus one I forgot to include last month). Because I injured my ankle I've been reading a lot more books than normal, so I'm hoping once I feel better I will not get through so many so quickly.

Miracle at St. Anna, James McBride
Spike Lee recently made this into a movie, and I dug this out of the bargain bin at Borders. I didn't really have any expectations for this, since I hadn't seen the movie, but the basic plot intrigued me. A group of African-American soldiers gets separated from their unit in Italy and has to rely on a village for survival. It's an interesting look at racism and how African American soldiers felt fighting a war for a country that didn't even care about them in a place that only a few of them knew of. SOmething was lacking and I'm not sure what, but it was an interesting read.

Sex With the Queen: 900 Years of Vile Kings, Virile Lovers, and Passionate Politics, Eleanor Herman.
I've read a lot of royal compilation books since I'm obsessed with royalty (I think it's the English in me). But it was a breath of fresh air to read this book, which gave me a bunch of stories I didn't even know! And she tells them so well, it's like reading a gossip mag but informational and interesting at the same time. Loved this book 100%.

The Secret Bride in the Court of Henry VIII.

The story of Mary Tudor, Queen of France and how she comes to marry the Duke of Suffolk is this book's tale. The Tudor period is a dark, dramatic, ridiculously insane period of English history that is interesting enough without having to fictionalize it. And I have yet to find anyone besides Phillipa Gregory who can. Diane Haeger tries, but it took til halfway through the book for me to care about Mary's fate. It helped that I kept picturing Charles Brandon as the man who plays him on TV.



Naamah's Kiss, Jacqueline Carey
This is the first book in a new trilogy in Carey's Terre d'Ange series. I was a little wary of this book because I always felt that the Imriel series wasn't nearly as well done as the first trilogy. With this book set 150 years after the events of the original two series, it makes it easier for the reader to get used to the new cast of characters, not always looking over their shoulders to see when X awesome character might show up. The story's a bit weak and Moirin is more of a Mary Sue than Phedre was but it was still an enjoyable read.

Smoke and Mirrors, Neil Gaiman.
I heart short story collections. I am starting to heart Neil Gaiman. So this was a good collection. I didn't dislike any pieces and "Snow, Glass, Apples" is really chillingly good.

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, Stieg Larsson.

This book everyone has been raving about like crazy but I was afraid I would hate it because the description on the back was kind of annoying. I figured out the solution to the puzzle well ahead of Mikael and Lisbeth, but the story was incredibly rapturous and I couldn't put the book down til the end. Definitely highly recommended.

I decided to read another book that's part of a trilogy next:
The Hunger Games, Susanne Collins.

This is the story of a post-Apocalyptic North America where the country is 12 districts run by a Capitol. After defeating the districts in a rebellion, the Capitol now hosts a game for teenagers in which they must kill each other to win. Two kids, a boy and a girl, are chosen from each district. And Katliss's sister is chosen, so she takes her spot. It's incredibly moving book. When I started it, I was like, "I will just read one chapter." I couldn't put it down. I got to Part II and set it down. Thirty seconds later I said, "well, one more chapter." I finished the book. Incredibly wonderfully disturbingly captivating.

So I went for one more book in a trilogy.
Daughter of the Blood: The Black Jewels 1, Anne Bishop.

This was the most disgusting, ridiculous, misogynistic, misiandristic, misanthropic piece of crap I have ever read in my life. Incest, rape, child molestation, and child abuse run rampant in this world and the hero is a 700 year old man who is in love with a 7 year old girl. This is completely and utterly devoid of merit and I will not be continuing this series.


PS: I have these fucking carpenter ants in my house and I want to cut a bitch bc they keep divebombing me.

No comments: