Tuesday, March 09, 2010

aww yeah it's Tuesday!

I love me some American Idol, so hold onto your hats, it's recap time again!


First "out the box" as Randy ridiculously puts it is young Katie Stevens, singing one of my personal favourite songs: Breakaway by Kelly Clarkson. (Like Citadel by Anna Nalick, it's like my personal theme song.)

I like her voice but she's so boring. Also, who told her that fake eyelashes were a good "eye-dea?" Also, shoulder pads shouldn't be worn by someone who wasn't born before they went out of style the first time. Just sayin'. Also, Kara? Another contestant who is too young? Maybe you should have given her spot to Angela Martin or Tasha Layton. /not bitter

Siobhan Magnus, The House of the Rising Sun, The Animals.

Oooh, love the acapella intro. My notes continue on to say YES YES YES YES I LOVE HER. Siobhan is officially my favourite this season. Ellen is on a roll tonight: "I'm from New Orleans, and I've been to that house." Simon and I are having disagreements again, so he can suck it.

Lacey Brown, The Story, Brandi Carlisle.

I HATE HATE HATE THIS SONG. For those unfamiliar with it, here's the original torturous version:

I don't hate Lacey's version and it is much better than last week and a complete 180 from "Landslide".

Katelyn Epperly, I Feel the Earth Move, Carole King.

Channeling her inner Carole King, complete with the hair, Katelyn is sticking with the piano (Wurlitzer? Whassat?) Like the growly bits she did here and there, but whelmed. Ellen is seriously funny tonight: "Is THAT a guitar?"

Didi Benami, Rhiannon, Fleetwood Mac.

Unlike the last time someone did Fleetwood Mac it ended horrifically and for some reason she's still on the show, Didi's take on this song was really amazing. I love her voice and I'm glad she gained some confidence. But what the fuck was up with the horrible camera direction this week? Splitting between the guitar and her face was just bizarre. And the wash was incredibly distracting! Also the AWFUL AWFUL backup singers strike again! (This is gonna be a tough elimination week, I think, I wrote then).

Paige Miles - Smile, written by Charlie Chaplin?

She sounds nervous. Also, may Mighty Thor strike down the vibrato until it is no longer available for musicians because I hate it. This is not going to end well for Paige. Also, why is Cowell feeling himself up, and why did we have to cut to it?

Crystal Bowersox, Give Me One Reason, Tracy Chapman.

She has a giant ring on her finger. I liked this a lot, and she's just heads above the rest of the competition. Including my favourite, Siobhan. (Who I think needs to win, because Crystal would sell a billion records even if she left the show now). Katelyn looks pissed off. Also, Crystal makes this look SO easy.

Lilly Scott, I Fall to Pieces, Patsy Cline.

This was terrible. I liked the mandolin's inclusion but other than that I feel that she didn't do anything new to the song and it was kind of shouty and off base somehow. The judges disagreed with me though...

So, my verdict:
best of the night: Siobhan, Crystal
worst of the night: Paige, Lilly
Elimination guess: Paige, Katie

No comments: